Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: L0pht Advisory: IMAP4rev1 imapd server

From: kragen () DNACO NET (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:12:26 -0400

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, We got Food - Fuel - Ice-cold Beer - and X.509 certificates wrote:
Scenario:

  It is possible to crash the imapd server in several possible places.
  Due to the lack of handling for the SIGABRT signal and the nature
  of the IMAP protocol in storing folders locally on the server; a core dump
  is produced in the users current directory. This core dump contains the
  password and shadow password files from the system.

It should be noted that this only works on systems that allow a
process that has changed UIDs since the last exec to core dump.

Some, such as FreeBSD (and OpenBSD I would guess, and a dozen
others), don't for exactly this reason.  The same thing came
up with ftpd a while back.

Now I know there have been some old security holes posted here on Bugtraq,
but this is an extreme case.  I quote from the source of the Unix kernel,
version 6, out of the Lions book, on Sheet 40, copyright, J. Lions,
***1976***:

/*
 * Create a core image on the file "core"
 * If you are looking for protection glitches,
 * there are probably a wealth of them here
 * when this occurs to a suid command.

(Lines 4084 to 4088.)

That's at least 21 years this security hole has been known and described
in what's probably the most-read book among UNIX kernel hackers.

Kragen