Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: feature Re: pine/pico vt control characters bug

From: lcamtuf () BOSS STASZIC WAW PL (Michal Zalewski)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:32:43 +0200

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, GvS One wrote:

Hm... Guessing... Pine: Main Menu -> Setup -> configure, few lines
down...

               [X] Pass-control-characters-as-is
?

... or something like that. Don't you want to try it turned off while
reading such message? ;)

Please, read carefully! I said about pico bug - pine shows message expanding
it properly, but if you hit 'reply', or simply view evil txt file with
pico (because pico is called if you're composing message)... Kaboom!

sorry to bother you, if I'm wrong and you had turned that feature off.
If so, and pico's control characters passing algorithm is incomplete,
we should fix it to work with termcap/terminfo databases to determine
what the characters are treated to be control.

Yes, that's only the partial fix, but 0x9B is 'control character' for
almost every newer terminal.

Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () boss staszic waw pl] <= finger for pub PGP key
Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]
[echo "\$0&\$0">_;chmod +x _;./_] <=------=> [tel +48 (0) 22 813 25 86]