Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Compaq/Microcom 6000 DoS + more

From: costa () MDI CA (Shiloh Costa)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:39:20 -0700

Enclosed is my open reply to Compaq/Microcom:

At 10:31 AM 14/08/98 -0500, you wrote:

The Compaq 6000 has no security problems.

Yes it does.

The problem is that ALEC does not know how to deny telnet to specific Ip
addresses.

No. The problem is that your username/password login process is poorly
written.

Did you read this? If so, please read it over 10 times, and then have
someone else rephrase it for you:

  The denial of service problem is this: there is no timeout when typing
in the username and password - from what I have seen, a user can make a
telnet connection to the MNC or PRI card and leave the connection open
indefinitely. If the user only has one connection open, then this is not
problem. However, the system will not accept more than 4 telnet connections
at one time. Thus, a malicious user/hacker could open 4 telnet connections
to either (or both cards) and deny all legitimate connections to the card.
  The other problem is that the system does not close the connection after
a specified number of invalid login attempts. A program such as 'crack'

If I want to make 4 subsequent telnet sessions to the Login/Username
prompt, it will stop the rightful owner from accessing the machine unless
he powercycles it.  That is a denial of Service.

Also, the login and password attempts should time out if no data is
received over a certain amount of time.

Futhermore, after 3 incorrect password entries, it should reset and cause
the person to re-telnet the box.

This is standard with the Ascend Max product we use, as well as, the
Computone Powerrack we use.

That was the solution we gave him, he did not like it. Maybe it's too much
work.

No, maybe its not fixing the real issue which is an improperly written
Login/Password interface.

The above mentioned solution should be standard policy for any system
administrator, that has internet access on his network. Not only for the
6000, but any server's or any
communication equipment that is on a given network.

You're 100% wrong.

Jim Kerwin
COMPAQ - NAC
Networking Support Engineer
*E-Mail: James.Kerwin () compaq com

Jim..

Rather than cause futher embarassment to your company, please get
engineering to put some modifications in the next kernel release.

Shiloh Costa
Senior System Administrator
MDI Internet Inc.