Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AfterStep asfsm tmp hole

From: kris () SNOW UTORONTO CA (Kristofer Coward)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:40:28 -0400

The disk usage monitor that comes with AfterStep (asfsm) overwrites
/usr/tmp/statfs regularly as whoever launched it, allowing the typical
symlink crap we've come to expect, including a possible DoS if run as
root.

Which version?  Have you contacted the developers first?!

1.4.x (haven't checked 1.0, or 1.5pre). I posted to the as list before
writing here, that post also told them that it would be posted here. It's
a small enough bell/whistle that most of the world should be able to live
without it until it's patched (not that that should take long).

Kris Coward