Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo Pager auto-update

From: serge () YAHOO-INC COM (Sergiy Zhuk)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:51:25 -0700

hi

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Ralf Rudolph wrote:

Today, when I started the yahoo pager, it automatically downloaded
executable files from http://pager.yahoo.com/pager/download/ (files
ypager.ex_, d23-fw.dl_, myyahoo.dl_ and possibly others) and installed
them without asking me. AFTER the upgrade, a message "Application
successfully upgraded!" was displayed.

well, according to our engineers, Yahoo Pager doesn't update its binaries
automatically, you'll be asked to confirm the update.
But the updater itself *will* be updated automatically w/o your confirmation
which is not a Good Thing.

They are aware of it and they're trying to fix it.

Simple user confirmation doesn't protect your files anyway.
One should probably check the integrity of files or/and sign them somehow.

btw: The yahoo pager is only one example: Many software vendors offer
online upgrades. It just sounds like a bad idea to me to allow this

yes, Symantec, for example...

rgds,
serge

--
| Sergiy Zhuk                         | serge () yahoo-inc com                 |