Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Object tag crashes Internet Explorer 4.0

From: djsd100 () cam ac uk (David Damerell)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 10:53:22 +0100

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Paul Leach (a Microsoftie) wrote:
The possibility of infinite loops and infinite recursion in HTML has been
discussed on the lists before. Trying to detect and prevent them is an
instance of the "Turing machine halting" problem, and it is well known among
computer scientists to be impossible.

This isn't even remotely true; and isn't made more valid by randomly
mentioning the Turing problem (something tells me our Mr. Leach is not
a computer scientist himself.) A fairly brute-force approach to their
detection would be simply to keep a count of how many times each
object had been displayed, and start throwing them away when it
exceeded some limit - quite high for, say, images, to allow for the
kind of pages with a red button on each bullet point (what I think of
this kind of HTML is another matter); quite low for pages of text or
framesets - also, establishing an separate upper limit on the overall
'depth' of a given page protects you against the hostile CGI script
that serves up the same thing with a million different names. There's
probably more sophisticated approaches based on graph theory, but I'm
not a mathematician any more.

--
David Damerell, Computer Officer, Department of Chemistry, Cambridge
Work: djsd100 () cam ac uk    Personal: damerell () chiark greenend org uk