Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT Advisory CA-98.13 - TCP/IP Denial of Service

From: Guido.vanRooij () NL ORIGIN-IT COM (Guido van Rooij)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:18:54 +0100

On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 11:17:48AM +0100, Ulf Munkedal wrote:
Have I missed something on the list lately about these illegal packets that
CERT are adressing ("constructing a sequence of packets with certain
characteristics, an intruder can cause vulnerable systems to crash, hang,
or behave in unpredictable ways")?

Or is this just the old teardrop/newtear/boink/bonk/nestea2 problem that
they are talking about?

No. This is an entirely new problem. It was discovered by me after a bug
report for an SMP FreeBSD system. Since I know it is only a matter
of time before such a bug would be abused, I decided to inform
CERT (also because the problem has been present since at least the
BSD Net/2 release). No public exploits are known to me.

-Guido