Bugtraq mailing list archives

Security flaw in htmlscript

From: joe () HTMLSCRIPT COM (Joseph Jay Austin)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:28:53 -0800

This message is in response to the security breach regarding
our product, htmlscript, that was published in this list.

We became aware earlier today of a security flaw in the
htmlscript 2.99x distribution and certain earlier releases.

This flaw allows people to get a copy of the system password
(and other) files using our product.  We are fixing this
problem and will be making a binary only distribution of
v2.9932 available to all licensees of the product.

The current shipping version of the product (htmlscript
v3.x/Miva 1.x) does not have this security flaw.  All
customers have the option of getting a copy of the latest
release or a binary only fix of the 2.99x distribution.
Both are, naturally, available at no charge.  Customers
wanting access to these binaries should contact
support () htmlscript com or should call our main number.

Due to the serious nature of this problem we urge all
htmlscript licensees to make this upgrade their
highest priority.

Htmlscript Corporation
Joe Austin, President
joe () htmlscript com