Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux and world-writable /tmp - UPDATE (fwd)

From: lcamtuf () BOSS STASZIC WAW PL (Michal Zalewski)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 00:51:25 +0200

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Olaf Kirch wrote:

There are some things I do not understand about this patch.

 1.   The code does not redirect /tmp access of processes running
      with a real, effective, or fs uid of root.

      So it doesn't buy you anything when it comes to /tmp attacks
      on setuid root programs.

No. You have to make /tmp chmod 755, only root-writable, so there's no
risk. Please read README carefully ;-)

 2.   The code does not keep normal users from messing around in
      the real /tmp directory. Use ///tmp, or chdir("/") and
      use "tmp", or unset both HOME and TMPDIR, or symlink your
      $HOME/tmp to /tmp, etc.

Yes. It redirects only typical requests. It won't protect /tmp itself, as
I wrote - you have to do 'chmod 755 /tmp'. Without this patch, your
programs won't work after above chmod. With patch, they will. It has been
mentioned in README, again.

 3.   Some setuid programs do open temporary files in /tmp for
      a reason; they do not expect them to be created in /etc.
      They also do not expect that the user invoking the program
      can flip to a different directory underneath of it. An
      interesting attack (having redtmp loaded) would go like
      this:

Setuid programs are NOT redirected to $HOME/tmp. If you want to force
setgid redirection too, simply modify code, but I can't see serious reason
to do it (any real-life examples, not 'hypotetical' examples - I can talk
about 'hypotetical' setuid program executing rm -rf / if only it detects
redtmp installed, but... ;-).

Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () boss staszic waw pl] <= finger for pub PGP key
Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]
[echo "\$0&\$0">_;chmod +x _;./_] <=------=> [tel +48 (0) 22 813 25 86]