Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: perry () piermont com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:04:20 -0400

Craig Spannring writes:
C should not be used for trusted programs.

Unfortunately, there are not really good open source alternatives. GCC
is everywhere.

One thing that I wonder about, though, is that several years ago, some
guy in the U.K. did a bounds checking version of GCC. It would be Very
Neat if someone were to track that down and get the egcs people to
make it available.

In the long run, I'm hoping for Java front ends for GCC that make it
possible to do reasonable open source programming in a reasonable
language. Until then...

Perry