Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: Brad.Powell () ENG SUN COM (Brad Powell)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:36:39 -0700

lej writes to bugtraq:

From: Lars-Erik Johansson <lej () ALGO NET>
Subject:      Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6
To: BUGTRAQ () NETSPACE ORG

more text deleted

I have another interesting aspect of Powermanager. In solaris 2.6
powermanager is now installed by default including the setuid program
usr/openwin/bin/sys-suspend which can be used by any user to suspend the
machine and turn off the power. I think this is scary...

not so. Who is allowed to run  sys-suspend (according to the man page) is
controlled by the configuration file  /etc/default/sys-suspend. The default is

PERMS=console-owner

thus only the "console owner" can suspend the system. If an intruder
has physical access to the console, then yes he/she could use sys-suspend.
But then you have bigger problems imho :-) :-\

I'd agree that the default configuration should probably be

PERMS= -

or

PERMS=root

edit by hand or a simple titan script would fix this.

Brad Powell : brad.powell () Sun COM
Sr. Network Security Architect
Sun Microsystems Inc.
               The views expressed are those of the author and may
                  not reflect the views of Sun Microsystems Inc.