Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: alan () LXORGUK UKUU ORG UK (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:53:27 +0100

SUID programs should drop privs almost immediately. The number of
possible places such issues can lurk is semi-infinite. You'll never
get all of them. You *can*, however, drop privs almost instantly.

Almost is often the killer. On the rest of the issues Im sure you are
preaching to the choir right now

1.  The libraries will use message catalogs and may open them before
    you do

In NetBSD, the message catalogs we use don't work that way, so I
suppose I'm not familiar with this issue.

Does libc load message databases of your choice - like say /dev/tape ? The
problems are those of dropping privliedges early enough. As to the bug list
thats real apps that need fixing - and should be fixed regardless of whether
people bandaid ncurses.

2.  If you are using C++ your constructors can't call libc in this case
    as the order of constructors isnt defined

???

Why not just drop privs at the beginning as you are supposed to?

In C++ _you cant_

C++ global object constructors are called in pretty much arbitary order before
main() is entererd.

Its an interesting reason not to write setuid apps in C++ 8)