Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: textcounter.pl SECURITY HOLE

From: lafferty () POBOX COM (Rich Lafferty)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:35:57 -0400

Quoting Doru Petrescu (pdoru () kappa ro) from Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 08:51:11AM +0300:
             Hi,

   I've found a serious problem in textcounter.pl script that enable
everybody to execute commands on your system with the same rights as the
httpd daemon.

Bah, that's what I get for writing things at 3:30 am.

Regarding my previous post:

Yes, this script's vulnerability allows execution of arbitrary commands.

Part about 'same rights as http daemon' still implies poor configuration
of httpd. Obviously, translate that to 'with the same rights as the
user running this poorly-written prefabricated script' for a properly-
configured httpd.

Use cgiwrap. Don't run scripts from untrusted sources. Don't take candy
from strangers. Breathe.

  -Rich

--
Department of Sociology  | "Theory means you have ideas; ideology