Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: pingflood.c

From: smurf () WORK NORIS DE (Matthias Urlichs)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:18:30 +0200

  Niall Smart <njs3 () DOC IC AC UK> writes:

I would have also thought it advisable to prevent a non-priviledged
user from sending a signal to a set[ug]id process which has installed
a handler for that signal.

Which means that you also cannot terminate ping.  Bad idea, I'm afraid.

(ping installs a sigterm handler in order to wait for straggling packets
 and/or print statistics. Not doing that is Not Good.)

The correct solution is to either check that the sigalrm isn't early, or to
check who sent the signal. The former has been done, the latter needs a bit
of kernel support...

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH