Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: *sigh* another RH5 /tmp problem

From: ewt () REDHAT COM (Erik Troan)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:22:15 -0500

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Mark A. Spencer wrote:

RedHat 5, when using dhcp to configure the interface calls a script
called "ifdhcpc-done" to be executed after a dhcp interface is
configured. At the end of the process it updates resolv.conf:

if [ -f /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf ]; then
       echo "setting up resolv.conf" >> /tmp/dhcplog
       cp /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /etc
fi

There is no protection against the dhcplog file being a symbolic link,
clobbering, blah de blah de blah...  (it seems pretty useless to maintain
it too, since this is the only message that ever seems to appear in the
log).

This was an oversight on my fault. /tmp/dhcplog was a log file I was using
when originally implementing dhcp support in our scripts. I've fixed this,
and I'll have the update (initscripts-3.32) on our ftp site today.

Thanks for pointing this out Mark.

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |