Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP-UX finger possible security hole

From: misar () RBG INFORMATIK TU-DARMSTADT DE (Walter Misar)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:45:22 +0200

while i was playing with the finger command, i got a coredump when
i submit

finger aaaa ( 200 random caracters )

i wonder if this is a possible security hole because the finger
command is owned by bin group.

The situation is far worse, if fingerd is run (which invokes finger).

my HP-UX is A.09.05 A 9000/73

sorry if this is an old bug i didn t had the time to check the archive
and forgive me for my broken english :)

When I first noticed this some years ago, I didn't find anything about it
in any archives. But the hole should prove hard to exploit anyway - at least
for the m68k hpux version, the overflow was in the malloc() area - it cores
after a second call to malloc(). So standard techniques won't apply, but
it should be possible to direct the write to the second malloced() area to
any memory location.

        Walter