Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: tcpd -DPARANOID doesn't work, and never did

From: chip () PRINCETONTELE COM (Chip Christian)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:19:39 -0500

wietse () PORCUPINE ORG said:
(4) some other application, not tcpd, does address->name lookup
    and uses the result for "authentication" purposes.

A number of years back smb pointed out the folly of r_cmds.c using #4
alone for authentication, so having the source for SunOS we were able to
patch in #1-2 long before Sun got around to it.  I hope that nobody ships
code like that anymore.  This had nothing to do with TTL, of course.  And
rshd that uses 1+2 should also be not vulnerable to a TTL attack.  Cache
poisoning was also pointed out and fixed probably as many years ago, also
thanks to smb if I recall correctly.

(1) tcpd does address->name lookup, to find out the client
    hostname.
(2) tcpd does name->address lookup, to find out the client
    address list.
(3) if there is a discrepancy, tcpd drops the connection.