Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Check system calls (was Re: Several new CGI vulnerabilities)

From: chip () PERLSUPPORT COM (Chip Salzenberg)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 12:00:08 -0500

According to Lincoln Stein:
Chip Salzenberg writes:
 > According to Lincoln Stein:
 > > And here's a general Perl technique for opening pipes without getting
 > > the shell involved at all:
 > >
 > >    open (MAIL,"|-") || exec '/usr/lib/sendmail','-t','-oi';
 > >    print MAIL <<END;
 >
 > Lincoln knows this, but for the less-experienced, I suggest it's not a
 > good idea to let the fork and the exec go unchecked:

I know it, but I don't usually do it.  The worst that can happen is
that no mail goes out -- correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, but: If the fork succeeds and the exec fails, then you end up
with the parent and the child both executing the rest of the program.
Usually this is considered a bug.  :-/
--
Chip Salzenberg        - a.k.a. -        <chip () perlsupport com>
      "There -- we made them swerve slightly!"   //MST3K