Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NT DNS hacked ... ?

From: drebes () INAME COM (Roberto Jung Drebes)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 13:48:09 -0200

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Sam R. Akhtar wrote:

Anyone running MS's DNS notice, overnite or so, their cache files
(specifically the root name servers) replaced with a handful of entries for
allegro.net ... ?

Thanks

There's a bug in NT DNS that allows this. You have to restart the server
without the RO attrib in cache.dns and then set the attrib. I haven't
experienced this, but I've read about a problem just like yours (including
the allegro.net entry) and this was pointed out as the solution.

--
Roberto Jung Drebes <drebes () iname com>
Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil