Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: WatchGuard Firewall internal D.O.S

From: karl () MAXIM CA (Karl Stevens)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:15:30 -0700

Hello,

We've have a Watchguard (original) for some time now, and don't see the
problem you describe.. perhaps it could be a configuration issue?

Does it happen at other ports as well, or just DNS? - And do you have
the 'outgoing' icon enabled? (if so, it could be what's causing the
problem - try just allowing specific traffic, and exclude the firewall
from the lists of allowed hosts)

FWIW, the Firebox (original, and probably II as well) is a low-end PC
running Linux 2.0.3x.. (we built a backup for ours out of an old P100
and 3com NICs :) .. applying linux know-how to the firebox might save
you some headaches..

TTUL
-Karl

ps. I agree that talking directly to Seattle Labs doesn't help much at
first, try going through your dealer - SL is much more responsive to
dealer inquiries than from end-users (it's the way they're structured...
configuration problems are handled by the dealers, technical issues are
handled by SL... since at first glance yours appears to be a
configuration issue, they might have ignored it until it goes through
proper channels..)

Who Wants To Live Forever ... wrote:

When we was testing a FireBox II (WatchGuard.. the red one box)
from internet it filtered any attack, but when we probe it from internal
network (masquerade), it doesn't filter udp attack, actually with "pepsi"
flood spoofed as localhost at dns port, it goes down, and stay disarmed.
We dont know if machines at the "optional" interface stay completly
vulnerable .. but it could be, we inform at WatchGuard.com .. but they
doesnt answer.

Matias Ruiz
Patricio Laf.
www.miticos.cl