Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RH Linux telnet problems

From: dalvenjah () DAL NET (Dalvenjah FoxFire)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:31:11 -0700

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 03:30:02AM -0800, Rui Ribeiro put this into my mailbox:

Today, when trying to log into a machine, I mistakenly used telnet over
ssh. True, the RH 5.2 box is configured for not allowing root login. The
only problem is that is still asks for the password after learning root
is logging. It denied access only after the password was introduced.

It should issue a error and not ask for the password, since otherwise
it's defeating the whole purpose of denying root telnet access. The
purpose, of course, it's preventing the raw transmission over the
communication media.

No, the purpose is to prevent someone who has the root password but not
a normal account password from logging into the machine as root directly.
While it's not a great layer of security, it does mean that the cracker
has to sniff/crack two passwords instead of just one to gain root access.

This is the same reason that most sane '/bin/su' programs require the
person doing '/bin/su -' to root to be in the 'root' or 'wheel' group.

These sort of restrictions were in place long before ssh or kerberos were
released.

-dalvenjah

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  "Command new weapons like dragons,
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       griffins, and eleven [sic] archers."