Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Ffingerd privacy issues

From: eilon () ARISTO TAU AC IL (Eilon Gishri)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:00:08 +0300

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 07:43:33PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
Thus spake Eilon Gishri (eilon () aristo tau ac il):
  I found a couple of bugs in ffingerd 1.19 which are related to
privacy.

OK.  I would be happy if you email me (the author) first before
publishing this on bugtraq.  Next time, maybe.

I've e-mailed you and Cc-ed BugTraq. As my email includes a fix (A
very complicated one I must say :)) I also notified the list. I'm
not sure I would have done the same if I couldn't fix it myself.

[ffingerd assumes the user wants to be fingered if his home does not
give public execute access]

Huh, It's opened if it's closed ?

This is documented in ffingerd.  If you want ffingerd to look into
protected homes, run it as root.

I want the machine itself to be protected and not only the users home
directory. I consider it a feature when I don't have to run fingerd
as root. Please don't consider it as a flame, I do like this utility
and am using it.

-----
(aristo)/cc/eilon>finger root@host.domain
[host.domain]
That user does not want to be fingered
-----

Hmmm, now for an unknown user.

-----
(aristo)/cc/eilon>finger root1@host.domain
[host.domain]
That user does not want to be fingered.
-----

Oops. Notice the dot ('.') at the end of the sentence. A very simple
and efficient way to find whether the user exists on the remote host
or not (taking into account the fact that ffingerd has been installed
on the remote host).

This has been pointed out to me yesterday.  I fixed it today (before I
saw this message, by the way), and announced version 1.20 on Freshmeat
pointing out this fixed problem.  Did you see my announcement and then
posted to bugtraq?

Nope. I was playing with it on a machine which I would like to see all
fingers which are done to it without giving away any "free" information

This is debatable.
If a user wants privacy, he should remove the world readable permission,
not the world executable permission.

I disagree.

I will not add this right now but think it over.  If anyone wants to
comment on the way to go here, feel free to email me.  I would prefer
discussion this in private email than on bugtraq, but if you must, I
will also read bugtraq comments.

--
Eilon Gishri                                    eilon () aristo tau ac il
Security Consultant                             Office: +972-3-6406723