Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Digital Unix 4.0E /var permission

From: psz () MATHS USYD EDU AU (Paul Szabo)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 07:43:02 +1000

Jochen Thomas Bauer <jtb () THEO2 PHYSIK UNI-STUTTGART DE> writes:
On Sun, 4 Apr 1999 Harhalakis Stefanos wrote:
On Digital Unix 4.0E with the latest patch kit aplied, after a new
installation /var has g+w for group system.
This problem seems to exist in other versions of Digital Unix, too.

True. I solved this by not having any users in the system group.

The whole thing is done while executing /sbin/rc3.d/S95xlogin and
only if CDE is selected.
This does not seem to be the case for Digital Unix 4.0c and 4.0d.
There is no chmod of /var in /sbin/rc3.d/S95xlogin.

I guess it is done within /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin.

Beware also of permissions on /var/dt. In my /sbin/init.d/xlogin I have
inserted (within the function StartDisplayManager(), after the line
'$X_DISPLAY_MANAGER -daemon $CONFIG_OPTION'):

### Change by PSz on 12 Nov 96
### Stupid /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin uses 'chmod 777 /var/dt'. This is bad...
### Also watch out for /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0030.dttmpdir
chmod 755 /var/dt > /dev/null 2>&1
# Sleep to make sure dtlogin is finished, do again
sleep 10
chmod 755 /var/dt > /dev/null 2>&1
### End of change

Paul Szabo - System Manager   //        School of Mathematics and Statistics
psz () maths usyd edu au         //   University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia