Bugtraq mailing list archives

Followup: Remotely Lock up Gauntlet 5.0

From: frantzen () EXPERT CC PURDUE EDU (Mike Frantzen)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:28:30 -0500

 *  If you know an IP that will be routed through a Gauntlet 5.0 Firewall,
 *  you can remotely lock up the firewall (tested against Solaris 2.6 and
 *  BSDI).  It locks up to the point that one packet will disable STOP-A
 *  (L1-A) on Sparcs and ~3-5 packets will disable Ctrl-Alt-Del on BSDI
 *  (Ctrl-Alt-Del still prompts Y/N but it never reboots).

Network Associates just released a patch for the problem.  It can be found
at  ftp://ftp.tis.com/gauntlet/patches/5.0

Two and a half weeks for a kernel patch....  Not too shabby.

enjoy,
.mike

---

Every one we don't catch would be a "yet another major ms security hole",
and the theory tells us we can't catch all of them.  So, we're just not
going to start down that path.
        --paulle () microsoft com 08/06/98 Bugtraq