Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 675 password nonsense

From: brian () CITILINK COM (Brian Elfert)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:28:48 -0500

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, DeMoNx wrote:

switching all non-business/special adsl accounts over to using PPP rather
than bridging mode for 'security reasons', I got a little suspicious. With

With good reason.  In bridging mode with a Windows 9x/NT box, your network
neighborhood will show everyone else's PC that has any file/print sharing
enabled.  So, it's trivially easy to connect to a non-passworded share.

Now, ideally, all these shares would be passworded, but we know that'll
never happen.  Not having the shares show up in network neighborhood is a
bit of security by obscurity, but it's harder to connect to a share if
it's not in your network neighborhood.

them. The problem is, *most* of these guys don't set passwords on the
675's. It is very simple to compromise an unpassworded 675. simply hit
'enter' at the password prompt after telnetting in, if you get a cbos>
promt you are half way there, NOT GOOD. If there is no exec mode password
set, then there most likely won't be an enable(superuser) mode password

Cisco has recognized this as a problem.  This is fixed in 2.1.0a or in
2.2.0 (2.2.0 out shortly).  The 675 will react like classic IOS and not
allow telnet if a exec password is not set.

BTW, in US West land at least, 90 to 95% of all installs are self install
where a tech never visits the customer.

Brian