Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Insecure use of file in /tmp by trn

From: R.E.Wolff () BITWIZARD NL (Rogier Wolff)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 09:59:42 +0200

Ben Pfaff wrote:
Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff () BITWIZARD NL> writes:
Creating a tempfile from a C program is possible since we have a
[...]
SYNOPSIS
     mktemp [-q] [-u] template

DESCRIPTION
[...]
     If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is cre-
     ated with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is
     printed to standard output.

Last I looked at the "mktemp" manpage it didn't create the file, and
was thus vulnerable to races. This is an incompatible change that
others didn't dare make.

The world is becoming a better place ;-)

                Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff () BitWizard nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------