Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Warning to Bugtraq posters.

From: smiths () TIAC NET (Richard M. Smith)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:59:17 -0500

Hi Steven,

Okay, this is probably the NewApt worm/trojan/virus.  Here are
some descriptions of it:

   Trend Micro Description
   http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/security/sa121499.htm

   NAI Avert Description
   http://vil.nai.com/vil/wm10475.asp

   Symantec Description
   http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.newapt.html

   F-Secure Description
   http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/newapt.htm

The NTBugTraq mailing list had the same problem last week.
All it takes is one person on a mailing list to get infected,
then it sends itself off to people who have posted messages to
the list.  For example, I got a WinApt message from Italy that was a
reply to a message I posted in August to NTBugTraq.

An interesting side note, NewApt contains an IP address
for a Microsoft Web server that shows the www.microsoft.com
homepage.  Not sure what the purpose of this address is
in the code.

Richard