Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BUG? Non-root user can configure traffic shaper (2.2.13) (fwd)

From: yuri () CS LIGA KIEV UA (Yuri Kuzmenko)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:31:15 +0200

Hi!

Non-root users can change the SPEED of shaped interface. I.e., usual user
can run "shapecfg speed shaper0 XXX" with success result. In my case
non-root user increases speed of shaped interface to my proxy server. Yep,
NO ANY suid's on `which shapecfg`. It's has 0755 permission.

All if this means that traffic shaper in insecure because can be
configured by any user with shell account.

Second bug is this:

Documentation/networking/shaper.txt:
o       The shaper must be a module

But traffic shaper in "make menuconfig" can be compiled into kernel.
So, shaper which compiled into kernel simple not work. Next, I have
compiled shaper module "on fly" and insmod it (shaper  compiled into
kernel at this moment). Then I configure shaped interface and kernel
failed in "swapper" process after first use of this interface (simple
ping).

Maybe second bug is not a shaper issue, but "make menuconfig" should be
fixed.

// Yuri Kuzmenko, system administrator
// LIGA ONLINE - http://www.liga.kiev.ua