Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: No Security is Bad Security:

From: jkb () BEST COM (Jan B. Koum)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:33:10 -0800

[aleph: feel free to pick out certain points and cut others out]

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 01:50:20AM -0600, Kevin Day <toasty () HOME DRAGONDATA COM> wrote:

Mistakes Made in Incidence Response:
-----------------------------------

1) Don't log in as root on a machine that most likely has been
compromised. Bsd things can happen.

2) Don't go around blithely executing binaries. (I feel rather stupid
about that)

3) Do *immediately* take the machine offline, and mount the disks on
another system for analysis.

If mounting on another system, and your OS supports it, mount with the
'noexec' option, to make sure you don't accidently infect another system, as
well as the rdonly flag to make sure you don't damage evidence. You may also
want to consider 'noatime', to keep things really pristine, if you don't go
'ro'.

             noexec  Do not allow execution of any binaries on the mounted
                     file system.  This option is useful for a server that has
                     file systems containing binaries for architectures other
                     than its own.

Kevin

        I would like to bring up another big point the author of the original
        email forgot: wardialing. No matter how much you port scan, you will
        find something that surprises you when you wardial. Honest.

        Ok.. there is more then one point in this eMail:

1) Don't log in as root on a machine that most likely has been
compromised. Bsd things can happen.

        You have to login as root to shutdown the system. You don't
        want to 'just turn it off' since you can loose data.

3) Do *immediately* take the machine offline, and mount the disks on
another system for analysis.

        True. Dont' forget to mount rdonly,noexec,nosuid,nodev
        (mentioned about and some flags are redundant).

1) we have no firewall nor tcpd running, so there is no effective access
control or access logging. We have incredibly primitive router filtering,
which eliminates only the most basic of IP-spoofing attacks.

        You can install ipf if you are on solaris. Or get a FreeBSD with
        two nics and use that as your firewall.

6) we did not purchase or implement any Intrusion Detection Software.
[IDS]

        http://www.l0pht.com/NFR
        http://www.nfr.com

Not using tripwire cost us a lot, in that a) we had to rebuild every last
GNU program from source, and b) we did not have it available as a means of
detecting 'wrongness' on a production system.

        Take a look at how FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD makes a use of CVS/CVSup
        to bring you things like 'make world' or 'make build'.. will make
        rebuild from source very easy. No GNU though. Well.. I'll stop here.

-- Yan

I don't have the password .... + Jan Koum
But the path is chainlinked .. | Spelled Jan, pronounced Yan. There.
So if you've got the time .... | Web: http://www.best.com/~jkb
Set the tone to sync ......... + OS: http://www.FreeBSD.org