Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Win98 Screensaver - A Interesting Problem

From: DGinther () SALUD UNM EDU (Demian Ginther)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:21:03 -0700

It will give focus back to the screen saver password requester, but you actually have to click on it, which isnt
required for the computer to want it's password.  The screensaver doesn't force focus to be kept on itself.

"Eric Stevens" <ejsteven () cs millersv edu> 02/13/99 09:35AM >>>
I have also seen this, especially in the case of Instant Messenger.  If my
screensaver is running
and i receive an Instant Message, when i type in my password, it goes into
the instant message
instead.

This I've noticed.  I'm not sure whether this was a problem with the screen
saver or Instant Messenger.  The screen savers I am using are After Dark
4.0.  If anyone knows how to make these things properly, it's After Dark
whose engine does all the handling of events like lost focus, not the
individual modules.  That leads me to believe that it's Instant Messenger
who's stealing the focus and not being willing to give it back.

Ollie Whitehouse <Ollie () DELPHISCONSULT CO UK> 02/11/99 05:27AM >>>
All,

Sorry if this that appeared before...

This is only a preliminary assessment of the problem, I don't have time to
investigate further at the moment so I thought i'd pass it out to let
someone how may have time play a little.

OS: Windows 98
Patches: All except the virtual machine update
Screensaver: Scrolling Marquee

Problem:
I have a open dos box running a copy of dos edit (focus under Windows is
placed on this), when I come back
and type in the password the screen saver password box does not pop up
after
the first key press to accept this
password (strange yes, but by which time I had typed the password). I moved
the mouse the box popped up, typed in my password and all was fine (or so I
thought). Instead I looked in the DOS window and what did I see? my
screensaver password which I had typed the first time.

Strange but true... seems to be a problem with the way Windows executes the
screensaver, it does not seem to take the focus away from the DOS sessions
for some reason.

Rgds

Ollie
----/