Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Mail-Max Remote Buffer Overflow Exploit

From: pw () NACS NET (pw)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:54:15 -0500

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, der Mouse wrote:

Hehe, my bad.  For some stupid reason when I was writing that I thought
17h (pop ss) was ret.  I really meant C3h which is ret. :)  When I
say ret I am referring to the x86 assembly language instruction.  When I
was using ret in the exploit code mailmax would stop overflowing the
buffer at it.  So I changed the ret to "pop eax; jmp eax" and it never
gave me trouble like that again.

When putting code in the buffer to execute there are no major
restrictions on character set.  The only character I found to
interfere besides null was 17h (ret).

It's not clear which character you're referring to here.

RET is not one of the ASCII mnemonics.  You could plausibly be
referring to CR, carriage return, or NL, newline (the latter also known
as LF, line feed).  CR is octal 15, hex 0d, decimal 13, while NL is
octal 12, hex 0a, decimal 10.

17 hex is ETB.  17 octal is SI.  17 decimal is DC1.

                                      der Mouse

                             mouse () rodents montreal qc ca