Bugtraq mailing list archives

Quake client killer

From: tim () NIGHT-SHADE DEMON CO UK (Tim Fletcher)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:25:47 +0000

Not sure if this is news but I have found a way to take down remote quake
clients (Win95) very simply with little evidence left behind. Basicly you
write a few hundred k of data to one of the udp listening ports and
quake dies and up pops a little dialog box saying:

A network error has occured

I found this over the weekend while admining a small LAN party were
everything worked too well so I got bored hence tried out of curiousity
this:

dd if=/dev/zero | nc -u client 27501

I haven't tried this on NT / Linux / Other clients or games, it appers
on Win98 and Win95 and has no effect on servers that I can tell, thou
nothing is logged.

I wonder if the effect only appers if done from the server because I
didn't have time to try much out and the normal connection for quake is

client:27001 -> server:27500

And I was working on the server.

      Tim Fletcher                  .~.
                                    /V\       L   I   N   U   X
   tjdf () st-andrews ac uk           // \\  >Don't fear the penguin<
tim () night-shade demon co uk       /(   )\
                                   ^^-^^

Justice is incidental to law and order.
                -- J. Edgar Hoover