Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Pingflood attack against Windows98

From: heilpern () MINDSPRING COM (Mark A. Heilpern)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:32:00 -0500

At 03:17 AM 2/17/99 -0300, you wrote:
rewt wrote:

Try pinging the windows box with large amounts of icmp...I left 5
screened pings, each set to 65000 size...Windows will freeze shortly
after its loaded. You might also try to ping with -f.

Hey...
      I made what you suggested, and it's true... But in my case the
results were a little worse than yours...
      Windows 98 *REBOOTED* after a ping -f 65000... and wasn't need
to make several screen boxes... With only one ping -f 65000 the system
rebooted.

I issued "ping -f -s 65000 my-win98-address" and after a single return, win98
locked up cold. I was ssh'd from win98 to linux to issue the ping, so I might
have had more returns than timing allowed to be displayed before I locked
up.