Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: benedict () ECHONYC COM (Snob Art Genre)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:49:41 -0500

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

"D. J. Bernstein" <djb () CR YP TO> writes:
News flash: There are dozens of denial-of-service attacks on every MTA.

I think that was the whole point that Wietse was making. You attacked
Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack. He pointed out that you
suffered from them, too. Seemed like fair game to me.

I think that Dan has a valid point though, that (if I understand
correctly) the Postfix DoS breaks RFC compliance, because it can cause
mail to get lost, whereas the qmail DoS that Wietse pointed out simply
incapacitates the mail server.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."