Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Wiping out setuid programs

From: neale () LOWENDALE COM AU (Neale Banks)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:19:30 +1100

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

[big snip]
My favorite workaround is to make the binary unreadable; I haven't found
any vendors silly enough to allow tracing here. Note that this prohibits
root-squashed NFS mounting for root-owned binaries.

You are proposing that some significant security is obtained by making an
executable file unreadable?

I thought this one was laid to rest last year in the "Dump a mode
--x--x--x binary on Linux 2.0.x" thread, wherein Martin Mares summarised:

Semantics of unreadable files is well-defined at file level (i.e.,
it's defined you cannot read() them), but not at any other level. No
standard guarantees you that contents of such binaries are not
accessible in any other way

Regards,
Neale.