Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: wietse () PORCUPINE ORG (Wietse Venema)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:35:36 -0500

Bernstein's posting contains inaccuracies. Rather than boring the
reader I will just address a few. If there is sufficient demand I
will make the full list available for those who care.

   * The world-writable drop directory was made unreadable. The
     [Postfix] author called this a ``solution'' and claimed that
     inode numbers offer 15 bits of randomness. In fact, on almost all
     UNIX systems today, inode numbers are trivially predictable. This
     is security through obscurity.

The claim that the non-readable maildrop was offered as a ``solution''
is inaccurate.  The non-readable maildrop was offered as a "short-term,
interim solution", while a "permanent solution is under development".
The announcement is likely to be still on-line.  The USENET news
Message ID is <75r5q7$a3h$1 () spike porcupine org>.

The claim that Postfix file name randomness is based inode numbers
is inaccurate.  The 15 bits of randomness that I referred to are
based the time of day in microseconds, which gives about 15 bits
depending on implementation.  Now, 15 bits isn't a lot, but this
scheme was chosen when queue file names were not meant to be secret.

Before I end this post there is one observation that I would like
to share with the reader.  In December, Daniel Bernstein posted a
message to the qmail mailing list with in the subject: "Anonymous
postfix denial of service", describing a variety of local attacks
with Bernstein accuracy.  By way of response I described a local
attack in a posting titled "Anonymous qmail denial of service".

How memory can fail.  Daniel Bernstein denies that he attacked
Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack, with the following words:

D. J. Bernstein:
Perry E. Metzger writes:
You attacked Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack.

I pointed out that [Postfix] allowed local users to

   * anonymously destroy messages accepted by the MTA from other users;
   * obtain traffic information that some sites consider private;
   * on some UNIX variants, charge mail to the wrong user; and
   * under specialized circumstances, steal unreadable files.

Which of these are you calling a ``denial-of-service attack,'' Perry?

The claim is in the title, Dan: "Anonymous postfix denial of
service". You can find it in your own mailing list archive.

        Wietse