Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Network Scan Vulnerability [SUMMARY]

From: kps () UCSB EDU (Kevin Schmidt)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:07:32 -0800

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, dpk wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Tomasz Grabowski wrote:
[snip]
   And  FORE PowerHub, 7-2.6.3.4-P10.
   It hangs for about 80 seconds when scanned with nmap -sS -O (nmap V2.00)

   I posted it to FORE about three weeks ago and never received an answer.
[snip]
I passed this along to the Fore Engineers in my area.  They took it
seriously and replied back that Powerhub Software 5.0.1 (11193) fixes
the problems relating to nmap, as well as cheops/queso scans.

I also filed a bug report and Fore was quite responsive.  The 5.0.1 software
requires the PH7000 have a "packet accelerator", so it wasn't possible to
install it on non-accelerated hardware.  To solve this Fore back-ported the
fixes and rolled a new release (2.6.4.3).  Nice to see they're doing the
right thing and not leaving customers hanging just because they didn't
have a performance reason for installing an accelerator.

Kevin Schmidt                                kps () ucsb edu
Campus Network Programmer                    (805) 893-7779
Engineering Computing Infrastructure         (805) 893-8553 FAX
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106