Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PATH variable in zip-slackware 2.0.35

From: schon () INAME COM (Karl Stevens)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 07:34:16 -0700

Have to comment here one last time:

On 02-Jan-99, kay wrote:
Actually, this is the default path for USERS, not for root (Slackware 3.4,
3.5, 3.6) The default path for root is
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

This is not true. This is output from a clean Slackware 3.6:

Well, it's true on ALL of my systems (14 to date) :

schon:~$ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/andrew/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/
games:.
schon:~$ su
Password:
schon:/home/karl# echo $PATH

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

A quick look through the init scripts reveals no distinguish whether they
run as root, other privileged uid, or something.

Another quick look reveals this:

schon:/etc# grep 'ENV_SUPATH' /etc/login.defs
# Three items must be defined:  MAIL_DIR, ENV_SUPATH, and ENV_PATH.

ENV_SUPATH
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

The problem specified in the previous posts is only present in the zipslack
distribution.

This is not true as well. If it was only present in zipslack noone would
care. I personally wouldn't run a secure server on zipslack/umsdos.

It is true, as far as I have tested.  14 boxen with regular slackware vs.
the one zipslack from the original poster. (I emailed him to verify)

Granted there are problems with security on a default slackware install
(including ttyp's in /etc/securetty for one) I don't think this is
really one of them.. either that, or I'm doing something totally different
than you are during install.

-Karl