Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Redhat 6.0 cachemgr.cgi lameness

From: kerb () FNUSA COM (Kerb)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 01:28:30 -0500

I am running a RedHat 5.2 box, rebuilt basically everything (and working on
what I havent), and I _didn't_ install Apache off the CD during installation,
and opted to download 1.3.6 from www.apache.org in source code.   I compiled
the source, and I was in the process of getting it all set up in a directory
structure familiar to me, and I noticed a "cachemgr.cgi" in my
/home/httpd/cgi-bin
directory.   I didnt know what it was, so as soon as I saw it, I automatically
did a "chmod 000 cachemgr.cgi".  I enabled it once after that to test it to see
what it was, but I didnt really have the time nor the patience to really do
much, but I know that there is no way to really restrict access to it from what
I have seen, and it is also a binary, so I do not trust it.  As a CGI
programmer, I know the inherent risks of CGI programs w/ power like that.  So,
 basically, what this Email is about is that I dont think that its just an RH
6.0 specific issue, I think it involves all builds of Apache 1.3.6 (and
others?).  Also, it could have POSSIBLY been Squid, which I installed as a
proxy cache.  Just some thoughts....

-Kerb

On Friday, July 23, 1999 6:37 PM, daniel () NEWS GUS NET