Bugtraq mailing list archives

XFree86 security problem

From: gonzo () RRNET COM (Patrick J. Volkerding)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:12:52 -0600

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Domas Mituzas wrote:
why is RedHat delaying release of this package
as it smells like root takeover (it was too easy
to change /etc/ and /etc/passwd permissions to
something neat).

[...]

This is cross-platform bug, as I found it in
all OS that run XFree86 3.3.3 server. As far as
I know it is on every Linux distribution (especially
newest ones) and BSD's.

Before flying off the handle at Red Hat, you might consider that quite
possibly they aren't vulnerable to this problem.  As far as I can tell, if
the system ships with a /tmp/.X11-unix/ directory already in place, and
none of the system scripts delete it, then there's no security problem
since nobody can put a rogue symlink at that location in /tmp.

I know Slackware Linux isn't vulnerable to this problem, and never was,
and I don't think we're the only ones to ship a Linux OS that provides a
pre-existing /tmp/.X11-unix/.

--
Patrick J. Volkerding
Slackware Linux Project