Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Digital Unix 4 protected password database.

From: mouse () RODENTS MONTREAL QC CA (der Mouse)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:44:40 -0500

I once posted a better algorithm than this [...]... but it never got
adopted, and anyway, MD5 or SHA1 is a much better bet.

Years ago, I did an MD5-based crypt(3) for NetBSD.  I've been using it
ever since.  I believe it is significantly better for several reasons.
One, of course, is that it's nonstandard and hence not vulnerable to
stock crack-alikes - but quite aside from that, it has benefits:

- MD5 is of clearer US export status than DES (even encryption-only DES
   engines can be used for data secrecy if you use CFB or OFB).

- The salt is large enough for the foreseeable future (128 bits).

- The round count is a parameter and is stored as part of the hash
   (meaning, there's no compatability issue involved with raising this
   as CPUs get faster).

- The hash format is extensible (it begins with a version number).

Of course, *any* hash except the "standard" traditional one may
introduce compatability problems if it's shared with NIS (nee YP) or
moral equivalent.

I will be happy to send a copy of the code, or a text description of
the algorithm, to anyone who wants one.

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca