Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NT/Exceed D.O.S.

From: david.poythress () BENDER TZO COM (David Poythress)
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 19:26:34 -0500

This seems to have been fixed at some point, connecting and/or spewing
random data to exceedhost 6000-6010 has no discenrible effect on exceed
6.1.0 under win98 or NTsp4.

A denial of service is still possible though: Exceed defaults to allowing
128 connections from the xdm host, but counts a telnet connection as though
it were a connection from a valid X client.  Once the max number of
connections is reached, subsequent attempts to the X port range are refused.

--
     David Poythress                               dp () qni com

          "Grammar, which controls even kings ..." --Moliere