Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises

From: billf () CHC-CHIMES COM (Bill Fumerola)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:30:40 -0500

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Chris Tobkin wrote:

I doubt that this is OS specific in the installation, but all the installs
of amanda i've seen (and have running here) have runtar suid root, but
perm'd to 7450 (other can't exec it).  It may be part of the packages
bundled with FreeBSD.. All of our builds are local compilations from
source...  (In fact, all the suid binaries installed by a `make install`
are perm'd o-rwx  and have a gid of sys or other) -- All I have for
reference here are solaris and AIX machines.. can anyone else confirm?

[hawk-billf] /home/billf/cvswork > ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3915 Oct 29 07:46 /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar

I'm not speaking on behalf of FreeBSD: The FreeBSD port does just use amanda's
build scheme and doesn't circumvent it. It also passes to configure:
                --with-user=operator --with-group=operator

I'll look into this, and I've cc:'d the maintainer of the port and the
FreeBSD security officer.

--
- bill fumerola - billf () chc-chimes com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol () computerhorizons com - billf () FreeBSD org  -