Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogdadvisory)

From: babinebell () TRUSTCENTER DE (Goetz Babin-Ebell)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:21:43 +0100

At 17:21 23.11.99 -0500, Shafik Yaghmour wrote:
      So if you have a high system load it is okay to have some of the
syslog messages lost? Hmm, I dunno, IMHO it is never okay, I mean why
should you open up the opportunity at all. You know, security based on
something being "not so prone to failure" doesn't exactly make me feel
warm and cozy.

For the connection of syslogd there seems to be two solutions:

* datagram sockets / connection less:
  - messages could get lost on transport
  + no resource exhaustion possible,
    malicious client can't bring service down
* stream sockets / connection based:
  + no messages could get lost on transport
  - resource exhaustion possible,
    malicious client can bring service down

Both solutions have advantages and disadvantages.

By

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell                      mailto:babinebell () trustcenter de
TC Trust Center for Security           http://www.trustcenter.de