Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BUG: Win NT TCP/IP Security filters does not get enforced

From: dleblanc () MINDSPRING COM (David LeBlanc)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:33:54 -0700

At 03:21 PM 10/10/99 +0200, Stefan Norberg wrote:

However, I still consider it a bug. The GUI is misleading. If I configure
the TCP/IP security using the GUI to "Permit *only* IP protocols: 6 (TCP)".
Then EVERYTHING including ICMP and UDP (regardless of other settings) should
be denied and NT should send an ICMP unreachable.

The GUI could definately be improved - here's the deal - the protocol box
allows you to regulate any protocols except TCP, UDP and ICMP.  The other 2
boxes regulate TCP and UDP respectively - the protocol box won't control
them.  Note that ICMP isn't controlled by this dialog at all.  IMHO, the
online help could also be improved - none of these details are in the
online help.  Also note that this dialog controls _incoming_ packets only -
outgoing packets are _not_ regulated.  IIRC, frags are filtered after
re-assembly.

Hope this helps.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com