Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Kvt bug

From: btellier () WEBLEY COM (Brock Tellier)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:50:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Pioppo <pioppo () FERRARA LINUX IT>

Wed, 29 Sep 1999, in a message titled "Kvt bug", Sebastian Wain wrote:

In the xterm there is a feature to change the title of the window
You can change the title of the window sending one of the escape codes
of the
xterm.
(linux: man console_codes)

By Example:

ESC]2;This is my Xterm^G

This escape code changes the xterm's title to "This is my Xterm"

Obviously You can do the same using the kvt (Kde Virtual Terminal).
But the kvt has a buffer overflow. If the size of the new title of the
window is big enough then the kvt will do a core dump.

xterm too (version 3.3.2.3) coredumps...
I tried this with echo -e "\033]2;(60e+06 times 'a')\007"

In my testing:

xterm 3.3.3.1b(88b) does NOT crash
Eterm 0.8.9 does NOT crash
wterm 6.2.7 does NOT crash