Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Network Security and Privacy

From: dynamo () HARVARD NET (dynamo)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:29:14 -0400

To answer some questions I've gotten in the mail publically, Heres some
info on our advisory.

1 - The advisory makes it clear we are not talking about a "NEW HOLE" or
anything like that.  Originally, this paper was submitted as a 'wake up
call' for admins who leave this sort of data available.  The script
was first written as a management tool -- but when it became obvious that
you could frequently use it on other people's networks, it transformed
into much more.

We were shocked to learn that so many nationwide dialup services were
affected by this hole.  Usually these problems plague smaller isps with
less experienced admins.

2 - Emails that say 'snmp public privacy violations are the least of your
concerns' are definitely not viewing the problem from the point of view
that most dialup customers will come from.  To the dialup customer, the
idea that someone else can determine how fast the network is, the number
of errors in packets and related common snmp data are irrelevant.  The
fact that some random guy out there can find out your phone number just by
seeing you on irc or looking at the header of an email you sent to them is
a LOT more menacing.