Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: fingerd

From: bsides () TOWERY COM (Brock Sides)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:13:55 -0500

I have attempted to confirm this, and failed, for Irix 6.3, 6.4, and
6.5.7m. In all cases, if the .plan file is symlinked to /etc/shadow, a
remote finger, or a local finger by any user other than root, returns "No
Plan."

Based on a little experimentation, it appears that Irix fingerd drops
privileges to those of "guest" before reading .plan files.

--
Brock Sides
Unix Systems Administration